My Farewell Tour

Years ago, sitting in class, didn't you wonder why you had to learn where Mesopotamia was? Why learn about the places so far away? What was the point of knowing about some huge desert in a place it was unlikely I would ever visit. Well, now I know why. One never knows in life what sort of interesting things will come about. And my life has certainly been interesting. But, now it's time to learn about another part of the world and depart from my safe haven of New Hampshire and head out to parts unknown in a place called Abu Dhabi.
I am calling this part of my journey, before I leave, my "Farewell Tour" because haven't you ever noticed that when a cool rock band is going to change members or break up, they have a Farewell Tour that lasts about a year? Well, I began my "Farewell Tour" at the Thanksgiving dinner table last November as I sat and looked around at my family, my cousins, aunts and uncles and I asked my mother what she would think if I decided to teach overseas. My mother responded favorably and I thought, well, then, this is it. This could be my last Thanksgiving dinner with the family in New England, for a couple of years. I mentally looked around at the family as if to impress their faces and that moment on my mind. At that point, my mother was the only one who knew that I was planning such a crazy, wild journey of my heart. I applaud her for being open to such an idea. Now that I am further along in my journey, she is still so very supportive. What more can one ask from her parents?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Have a Day/Date of Departure!

I had almost given up...after days and weeks of waiting for my e-ticket, I was beginning to think it was all a dream. Since I had been given a start date of Aug 14, I was pretty sure they were going to bring me over by the 8th or 9th of Aug. Going to Abu Dhabi is not like driving to Concord, there is a period of adjustment for the weather, the time change and the language and culture that takes place going from New Hampshire to Abu Dhabi, so I really did think that bringing me over a few days early would be to both our mutual benefits. Apparently, I don't think like an Emirati. They have given me a time and date of Saturday, August 13 with an arrival on Sunday, August 14. I have e-mailed my rep to be sure they would reschedule my orientation (they will). Then I began the process of calling or texting all my family members. My son, Jake was first as I knew he was on the road to work. His response, "Excellent!" That made me feel so good. My daughter, Jess, is next as she is an early riser. We discussed the time of arrival in Abu Dhabi and think we know what time I will arrive there. My mom and sister, Sue are next. Mom wondered who was calling her so early in the morning and Sue responded, "Nancy of course, she got her ticket." Sue had such conviction, she knew it was me. I called my son, Matt, then and gave him the news. Everyone was so upbeat and positive, I felt encouraged. 
I know that having your mother/daughter/sister leave the country for up to 6 months at a time is a difficult condition. My family has encouraged me from the very beginning to go ahead and do this. Oh, it hasn't all been easy. We have had our moments of tears and sadness, that's for sure. For the last 6 weeks as I have waited for this all-important mobilization news to come, everyone has asked, "When do you leave?" and my answer has been, "I don't know yet." And this week, it has gotten down to very little time left. My school had already given me a work-start date of August 14. With the arrival in a strange country, finding a place to live, and beginning work on the 14th. But each day, as I check my e-mail there is no news. The daytime TV shows mock me; Nate Berkus calls out to me, "Have you got your ticket, yet?" and David Letterman crows, "You can get free tickets!" Each little moment is an insult to my inner clock which is screaming out, "GO! Get thee to Abu Dhabi!" By this time, my family, which had previously been happily asking me if I had my tickets, and have perhaps been a little wistful about my leaving are now asking in tired voices, "Anything in the e-mail, today?" Yes, it is time for me to go. My house is ready for my son to take over with two roommates. Everything in my life is encouraging my leaving: my cell phone battery is only holding a charge for a few minutes; my hair dryer has stopped working. As Bob Dylan says, "One more cup of coffee  before I go" or in my case, tea. Earl Grey, preferably, with milk and real sugar.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that the reality of leaving for such an extended time is really sinking in, now that your ticket has finally arrived. I can just feel all the emotions, details and the questions that must be racing through your head. It must be like going far away from home to a college in a town you've never visited, but magnified! As with your other fans, I am waiting to hear and view the adventures that you undertake in this new and exotic journey that most of us would be too scared to take because we are too afraid to take a dip into the 'great unknown.' Thanks so much for sharing the details of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete